Home
About us
About Hebron
About Glen Ullin
Contact West Dakota Rentals


Glenn Ullin, ND


Please visit the Glenn Ullin website http://cityofglenullin.yolasite.com/

"The Name"

In May or June of 1879 the Northern Pacific had laid the tracks through the area that is now Glen Ullin. Four years later two land agents - Major Alvin E. Bovay of Ripon, WI, and Isaac Richardson of Cleveland, OH, organized a group to settle in western North Dakota. They decided on the spot that is now Glen Ullin. Major Bovay chose the name Glen Ullin from one of his favorite pieces of literature, "Lord Ullin's Daughter." The word Glen is a Gaelic word meaning valley, decided upon because of the location in Curlew Vally, a beautiful glen.

History

Major Alvin Bovay surveyed the Glen Ullin area in 1881 and on August 6, 1883, the townsite was platted. On March 9, 1901, Glen Ullin was incorportated as a village. The presidents of the Village Board were chosen each year with some of them being re-elected for a second year. The population of Glen Ullin in 1910 was 921, and it was the time, Glen Ullin was no longer called a village but a city. On March 25, 1910, the city election was held with a mayor and council chosen to represent the people. This same form of city government has been maintained to this date. There are three wards in the city with two councilmen representing each ward. Three of the councilmen are elected every two years. Formerly, the mayor and council were elected for two-year terms b ut since 1934 they serve four years at each term of office.

Beck Apartments and West Dakota Rentals is committed to the Fair Houseing Act,
which prohibits discrimination against personas with disabilities.